Born and raised in Germany and having studied three different countries, I am currently enjoying Scotland in all of its glory.
9 Fun facts about Germany
Let's be German and get straight to the point.
9. The “Deutsches Currywurst Museum” in Berlin is dedicated to the popular fast food dish, the German currywurst.
8. German is the official language in Germany, Austria and Liechtenstein, and one of the official languages in Switzerland, Luxembourg AND also Belgium.
7. Oktoberfest actually starts in September and only ends in October.
6. Germany has the most football clubs in the world.
5. There are 35 dialects of the German language.
4. The world’s narrowest street is in Reutlingen, Germany and is called “Spreuerhofstraße” and ranges from 31 cm (12.2 in) to 50 cm (19.7 in) in width.
3. The longest word published in German is: Donaudampfschifffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft (79 letters).
In case you wonder what the longest German word means translated into English: "The Association for Subordinate Officials of the Head Office Management of the Danube Steamboat Electrical Services."
2. In Germany every child gets a large cone filled with candy and toys on the first day of the first grade.