three people sitting talking with each other

Last call for 2020-2021 International Students: The UK Clearing Process Explained

Reading time
3 minutes

Despite the current situation, learning doesn’t stop and universities in the UK still have spaces in degree courses starting this academic year. Each year prospective undergraduate students apply by using the UK university clearing process through UCAS (Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) which is currently live. Universities with course vacancies will list these, and prospective students can apply. If you did not get a place on your preferred course or you missed the entry requirements then clearing could be for you!

How do I know if I'm eligible to apply to clearing as an international student?

International students can apply to UK universities through clearing. You will be eligible if you didn’t receive any offers or any you wanted to accept, if you weren’t able to meet the requirements for your offers, if you have declined your firm place or if you have paid the multiple choice application fee. After checking if you are eligible, you will need to obtain your UCAS clearing number. 

When is clearing open until?

Clearing is already open and will be until 20th October but it works on a first come first served basis. Many courses start before then so act quickly if you’re wanting to go to university in the UK this academic year. 

How do I apply through clearing as an international student? 

Once you have your UCAS clearing number then you are ready to start researching courses. Courses with availability will be listed on individual institutions websites as well as on the UCAS clearing search tool. If you find a course you are interested in, you need to contact the institution directly. There is usually a specific phone line which you will need to call and the university may offer you an informal offer over the phone. Once you have an informal offer which you want to accept, you can add a clearing choice on your UCAS account. It is then up to the university to confirm your place, then you are all set!

I’ve accepted my clearing offer, what’s next? 

Once you have chosen to accept an offer, you will need to organise, if applicable, a student visa. For this you will need your current passport, evidence you can afford to study and live in the UK, your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) reference number from your university and an English language test certificate. You will also need to organise your travel and accommodation. 

What if my documents are not in English?

When applying to university and applying for a student visa, if your supporting documents are not in English then you will need to provide a certified translation. Dialexy can help you out with fast and easy official document translation that will be accepted by UK universities and that meet UK visa translation requirements. Simply upload your documents to for an instant quote. If you have any questions, feel free to get in touch.

If you still have questions about the clearing process then head over to UCAS clearing to learn more!


Editor's picks